Limit the distractions and experience the sound you prefer via JLab's built-in noise control modes. JLab offers three noise control modes in the new Epic Air true wireless earbuds: ANC On, ANC Off and Be Aware Audio.
ANC and ear sensitivity
It's important to note active noise canceling has evolved greatly. The Wirecutter explains "... some people may find that they can’t stand wearing noise-cancelling headphones for more than a few minutes because they feel pressure in their eardrums—a phenomenon we call “eardrum suck” because it feels like the pressure decrease you experience when riding a high-speed elevator." We worked hard to limit 'earbud suck' by focusing on hybrid and smart algorithms that sense when too much ANC is actually doing more harm than good. Learn more about JLab's Smart Hybrid ANC below.
Let's review the noise control modes below:
1. Active Noise Cancellation "ON" with Smart ANC™
Active Noise Cancellation "ON" is a great feature for limiting most outside noises that cause distractions. Using hybrid ANC – a combination of feedforward and feedbackward ANC – JLab Smart ANC adapts on-the-go to variants in environment, earbud fit and other factors to create the best audio experience.
SMART HYBRID ANC
Smart Hybrid ANC utilizes two types of ANC technology (Feedforward ANC + Feedback ANC) to provide the best combination of sound for the user.
The Feed forward ANC utilizes a microphone on the outside of the earbud to capture outside noises before they are passed through to the user and reached a high frequency. This is the ANC technology that most people have experience and has been around for years.
The Feed back ANC utilizes a microphone inside the earbud and hears the sound like the user does. This allows the technology to make corrections in the signal and affect a broader range of sound frequencies.
Using a hybrid of both feedback and feedforward ANC allows the technology to adapt better to different variations of audio. Anything from a improperly fitted earbud to the type of music you're listening to can affect how ANC technology cancels out noises. This hybrid ANC allows JLab technology to learn from your current environment and adapts to reduce noise further. For example when you are sitting on an airplane and turn on ANC, the noise canceling would immediately be just average. But within a matter of seconds the smart ANC will adjust to the environment and learn how to best cancel noises and keep the integrity of your music and audio, offering the the best audio experience via Smart ANC.
- A business call or zoom meeting. Limit outside noises so you can hear your coworkers best with crystal clear audio.
- Listening to music while you are working.
- Studying for homework or finals.
- A nice meditation sesh.
- Playing video games and talking to your friends online.
- When you want to totally zone out to only your tunes.
- Traveling on airplanes, trains or subways
2. ANC "OFF"
ANC OFF refers to passive noise isolation. By putting on the earbuds, you'll naturally reduce the sound that is passed through the ear. Getting a good in-ear seal and fit is key to maximizing the passive noise isolation, which is why JLab products ship with multiple sizes and styles - the Epic Air products ship with: Gel tips (small, medium and large); Extra-Long tips fit further in your ear for a more snug, tighter seal (medium and large); and Cloud Foam expand to fit the ear (medium).
- Working where you want to limit distractions but want to be aware if a coworker approaches
- At home where you want to hear a the doorbell ring
- Watching a movie or series at home, where there's not much distracting sounds
3. Be Aware Audio
Allow outside noises in with Be Aware Audio. This new JLab technology allows outside ambient noise in through the earbuds. Now you can stay safe and hear surrounding sounds during a run. Learn more here.
- Running outdoors to hear cars and other safety noises
- Riding a bike to hear cars approaching
- Working out with your buddy, so you can chat
- In the office, so you can hear your coworkers while listening to music or a podcast
Further customize your sound with the JLab Air ANC app. Learn more.